Sunday, January 29, 2012

Recycle Snack Bag

Hi everyone welcome to my blog.  I kept seeing chatter on the Internet about these reusable baggies.  I wanted to know how it kept your bread from getting all dried out before lunch it's just fabric that air can get through, right.  So after lots of hours surfing the Internet I found out how it works.  The secret is rip stop fabric and water proof fabric.  I found it at Joann Fabrics in the back by the curtain fabric.  Ok, so here is one way to make a recycle snack baggie. 


Recycle Snack Baggie


Supplies:  Sewing machine
               Thread to match fabric choice
               Rotary Cutter, ruler and Mat (optional)
               Scissors
               Fabric of choice 17in X 8in piece
               Rip Stop Fabric 17in X 8in piece
               Velcro to match fabric choice 7in




cut fabric and Velcro


line the fabric with the right side of the fabric to the rip stop fabric


Sew a 1/2in seam to each short side

Press open the seams by pressing with your finger
do not use an iron the rip stop will melt to it 

 
Turn the fabric right side out



Place the Velcro center on the rip stop side of each short end


Sew in place you can use straight pins but it might leave
a tear in the rip stop fabric.


It should look like this now.


Fold over and line up the Velcro pieces and top of bag.




sew a 1/8in seam to each side




it will look like this with raw edges out



then turn it inside out and poke corners to a nice point


Sew a 1/4 to 3/8 in seam. What this
does is lock the raw edges of the fabric and rip stop fabric
inside the seam.  It is called a "French Seam".   It makes the
 bag more durable for washing over and over again. 




The sides should look like this when you turn it right side out


Inside view

Finished Bag
Tip:
You can change the size of the bag by cutting it longer or shorter then 17X8 and adding a longer Velcro closure.  This bag can also be used to carry make-up, crayons, hair ties, School supplies, or in a diaper bag for the clothing of accidents till you get home.  There are so many uses for a bag like this so have fun and let your creative juices flow!

2 comments:

  1. I'll immediately snatch your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me recognise in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.
    Miele Non Electric Hose for S200 Series Vacuums

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kimberly I think I fixed it so you can follow now. I am still learning how to use Blogger. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read my tutorial blogs I hope that you learned something new. leave a comment and let me know what you think, or if you tried one of my tutorials.